Thursday 10 October 2013

Open Letter To Ofcom...

I am sending this letter not as an activist but a believer in purity, a belief shared by many in the music industry... the DJ's, Presenters, Artists, Publicity/Pluggers, Bloggers, Stylists, Managers, Producers, Musicians, A&R's, Journalists. Whom, are under pressure to sell the worst of the best to consumers in what they represent to make money or put food on the table. When my family & friends ask me in the future what did I do, I can say with pride "Something". 

"Be a yardstick of quality, Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected." Steve Jobs


Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my concern over the newly branded Capital Xtra and question its current music output, I was some what shocked to notice the removal of reggae & soca genre specific shows which, not only served as an educational tool to neo-types but, also brought a much needed element of nostalgia to adept listeners such as myself.

After a bit of due diligence on my part, I have managed to ascertain the station is now targeting a younger audience nationally and "building" on the previous stations efforts.

However, after listening to the station and visiting the website I have to question some of the authenticity and
relevance of the music planned for the future such as "techno eurodance". For example, the website coverage of Armin Van Buren, Avicii & Hardwell who don't reflect or represent the "urban dance" demographic I recognize as popular with fans of "urban music".

I am savvy enough to understand the key principles of what they are trying to achieve, but it seems as though the integrity of what was once a anthologized station will now be a far cry from anything resembling or sounding like the promise of performance it intended to serve.

I therefore pose the question whether it currently is an accurate, acceptable and legitimate reflection of "urban" music culture.


With Regards,




Reggie Styles